River Institute, Cornwall, ON
The St. Lawrence River Institute of Environmental Sciences (“River Institute”) is a non-governmental organization located in Cornwall, Ontario dedicated to research, education and community action on large river ecosystems (www.riverinstitute.ca).We seek applications for a post-doctoral fellow or early career research scientist to support our research programs in aquatic ecology and chemistry, with specific interests in examining relationships between water quality and river ecosystem processes.
The successful candidate willprovide unique expertise to the existing research teams, including the River Institute’s ecosystem health assessment team (riverinstitute.ca/riverrapport/) and the RiverLabs division focusing on applied research (riverlabs.ca/). The position also includes contributing to the delivery of a course in water quality for a college level Environment Technician program. The successful candidate is expected to proactively initiate and participate in funding proposals for on-going continuing support of related research.
The successful candidate will be a recent doctoral graduate in aquatic ecology and chemistry, limnology or a related field. While all candidates with suitable back-ground are encouraged to apply, preference may be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents eligible for Canadian employment subsidy programs. Ability to travel to the USA is required. The position is an initial 2-year contract with a starting salary of $48,165/yr. Anticipated starting date is July 2019, applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter outlining their research interests and relevant experience and a resume to:
Dr. Jeff Ridal
2 St. Lawrence Drive
Cornwall, Ontario Canada K6H 4Z1
The River Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Detailed Job Description– PDF/Research Scientist in River Ecology and Chemistry
The incumbent is expected to:
- Support existing research programs and pursue new innovative projects in river ecology and chemistry
- Maintain water quality sensors to ensure the collection of high quality data
- Collect and perform laboratory analyses of diverse environmental samples
- Undertake large data management and statistical analysis using R and Matlab or comparable software
- Participate and contribute expertise to applied research projects and other related projects relating to water and wastewater
- Investigate innovative applications of water quality sensors and other real-time equipment
- Disseminate and publish research results in the peer-reviewed literature
- Participate in promotion and dissemination of the research to the public and scientific bodies through a variety of media, including oral presentations, video, and interviews as appropriate
- Assist with preparing and submitting funding applications and proposals, work plans, time lines and budgets
- Supervise and provide training to students and other assistants
- Participate in course delivery for a college environmental technician program
- Assist in the field and laboratory in support of other related research as required, and
- Provide other related duties as directed.
Candidate will be a recent PhD graduate with a background in limnology, aquatic ecology or chemistry or a related field, and with experience in statistical analysis and related software. The ideal candidate will also have experience calibrating, deploying and trouble-shooting water quality sensors. The successful candidate will also be proficient in laboratory procedures including water quality analyses, quality assurance, and laboratory information systems. A demonstrated ability to conduct independent research, develop research funding, supervise students, and provide undergraduate teaching is desired.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.